- 400,000-plus square-foot Mopar Parts Distribution Center (PDC) in Winchester, Virginia, represents FCA US investment of $12.2 million
- Winchester PDC employs more than 70 workers over two shifts and serves over 200 FCA US dealers
- PDC to ship an estimated 9.2 million pieces annually
- Facility is first of two new Mopar PDCs scheduled to open in 2017 in U.S.
- Pietro Gorlier, Head of Parts and Service (Mopar), FCA – Global; Norwood Jewell, UAW Vice President and Director of the Chrysler Department; federal and state government officials and dealer representatives in attendance to mark opening
- Mopar continues to expand role as FCA US service, parts and customer-care brand during 80th anniversary celebration
“We are celebrating our 80th anniversary in 2017, and throughout the years customer satisfaction has been and continues to be the Mopar brand’s No. 1 priority,” said Pietro Gorlier, Head of Parts and Service (Mopar), FCA – Global. “This new Parts Distribution Center builds upon our mission, allowing us to more quickly and efficiently serve our dealers and customers, delivering the parts they need, when they need them. This is our 22nd PDC in North America and we’ll continue to expand our distribution network as the parts and accessories business keeps growing.”
“Today’s opening adds more than 70 jobs to the Virginia economy and makes the Mopar brand’s delivery of parts to dealers and consumers more efficient. FCA continues to grow, which is a constant reminder that the auto loans were a great investment,” said Jewell.
A framed Congressional Record statement issued by Congresswoman Comstock was presented in honor of the official opening of the PDC. A special Mopar logo, featuring a commemorative plaque and signed by all event attendees, was also presented to Winchester PDC employees and management during the ceremony.
The new facility will handle more than 50,000 total part numbers distributed to over 200 FCA US dealerships, located primarily in the Mid-Atlantic region. It will ship approximately 9.2 million pieces annually.
FCA US invested $12.2 million in equipment for the Winchester facility. In addition to the more than 70 jobs created, FCA US is also utilizing local resources for assistance in areas such as janitorial services, facilities management and exterior building maintenance.
The Winchester operation expands the brand’s current distribution network to 22 facilities in North America, with more than 50 PDCs (including joint ventures) in operation worldwide.
The Winchester PDC was launched under FCA World Class Logistics methodology, which establishes a synchronized supply chain that progressively eliminates waste through the contribution of all employees and the rigorous use of methods and standards that promote an approach of continuous improvement.
The facility will be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified. LEED, administered by the United States Green Building Council, is a comprehensive system to define, measure and validate green buildings.
Certification in the national recognition program is based on strict standards in five key areas: site planning, water management, energy, material use and indoor environmental quality. As part of the LEED initiative, the PDC design incorporates more than 80 skylights, filtering in natural light to the workplace.
In addition to the Winchester PDC, FCA US has also announced a $10.4 million investment in a new Mopar PDC located in Romulus, Michigan. That facility will encompass 500,000 square feet and more than 100 workers. Construction is currently in progress on the Metro Detroit facility, with a projected opening in 2017 fourth quarter.
Winchester PDC: Key Figures
10: Inbound tractor-trailers daily
24: Outbound tractor-trailers daily
27: Acres (facility footprint)
200+: Dealers served
50,000+: Part numbers handled
400,000: Square-feet (PDC size)
2.6 million+: Order lines shipped annually
9.2 million+: Pieces shipped annually
12.2 million: FCA US investment (in dollars)
During the brand’s 80 years, Mopar has introduced numerous industry-first features including:
- Vehicle-information apps: first to introduce smartphone vehicle-information applications, a new channel of communication with consumers
- wiADVISOR: first to incorporate a tablet-based service lane tool
- Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS): first to market with a new interactive vehicle tracking device that sends owner a text when vehicle is driven too fast or too far based on pre-set parameters
- Wi-Fi: first to offer customers the ability to make their vehicle a wireless hot spot
- Electronic owner manuals: first to introduce traditional owner manuals on a smartphone app
80 Years of Mopar
Mopar (a simple contraction of the words MOtor and PARts) was born on August 1, 1937, as the name of a line of antifreeze products. Mopar has since evolved over 80 years to serve as the total service, parts and customer-care brand of all FCA vehicles around the globe.
Mopar made its mark in the 1960s during the muscle-car era, with Mopar Performance Parts to enhance speed and handling for both road and racing use, and expanded to include technical service and customer support. Today, the Mopar brand’s global reach distributes more than 500,000 parts and accessories in over 150 markets around the world. With more than 50 parts distribution centers and 25 customer contact centers globally, Mopar integrates service, parts and customer-care operations in order to enhance customer and dealer support worldwide.
Mopar is the source for genuine parts and accessories for all FCA US LLC vehicle brands. Mopar parts are engineered together with the same teams that create factory-authorized specifications for FCA vehicles, offering a direct connection that no other aftermarket parts company can provide. Complete information on the Mopar brand is available at www.mopar.com.